Chapter 6: Smothering the Truth

The polygraph was administered by Ralph Cabot of the Michigan State Police, Post #35 Flint. The unredacted portions of the polygraph report show that Busch admitted to molesting young boys but denied involvement with Stebbins. Recall that the weather was so bad on January 28, 1977 that the courthouse was closed. Regardless, Brooks Patterson’s Chief Assistant, second in command and Deputy, Dick Thompson, made the trip to Flint through a blizzard to sit in during Busch’s polygraph examination. Doan would later tell Det. Cory Williams that of the hundreds of polygraphs taken in the OCCK case, this was the only one that was attended by anyone from the OCP office. OCP 470.

It is important to stop here for a moment and take stock of a few things. It is at this point that the wheels of influence and corruption truly start to turn. First, on the same day that Chris Busch was arrested, Brooks Patterson held a press conference releasing the results of Kristine Mihelich’s autopsy where he revealed that she was smothered to death. It was previously known that Mark Stebbins was suffocated. Kenneth Bowman’s statement from January 26, 1977 indicates that Greene nearly choked a boy to death in California and also choked Bowman unconscious while molesting him. The same day Brooks Patterson disclosed that Mihelich was smothered to death, his top lieutenant, Dick Thompson jumped into his car and drove through blizzard to be present for the only polygraph examination that anyone from the OCP office would sit in on during the OCCK case. To Brooks Patterson, Chris Busch was not simply the son of a wealthy constituent. He was one of Patterson’s wealthiest constituents who lived in one Oakland County’s most exclusive neighborhoods who was connected to the most powerful corporation in the world let alone the state. That guy’s son was being polygraphed. Before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s go over a few other things that happened that day before Thompson made that desperate drive to Flint.

The narrative we are expected to believe is that Thompson was immediately dispatched and heroically braved a blizzard because it appeared there was a huge break in the case. This narrative, however, fails to consider this part of Doan’s report:


Busch’s attorney was present in Flint. When did Busch call his attorney? Everything in the record indicates that Busch did not call his attorney and he explicitly stated that he did not want to consult with or avail himself of the protection of having an attorney. When he was arrested at his restaurant, Busch made no calls to anyone:


Nothing in the record indicates that Busch made a call to his father or to his attorney at either the restaurant or when the officers took him to his home to collect clothes. If Busch did call his attorney from his home or office, the attorney would have instructed him to not let the officers search his home. He would have told Busch to not tell the officers anything. Then, during the ride to Flint with Busch and Doan, Waldron reported the following:


Does it make any sense for Chris Busch’s attorney to have been present in Flint when he arrived after Busch specifically waived his right to counsel? Chris Busch neither called an attorney nor did he ask for one. Yet, his attorney was there in Flint waiting for him.

Then after being arraigned at Judge Newblatt’s home due to weather, Busch told the OCTF officers that he consented to a polygraph—the one his attorney advised him not to take. While arrangements were being made for the polygraph, the OCTF officers conducted their interview of Busch, who again ignored his attorney, and agreed to waive his rights so that he could speak with the police.


If the attorney, Keith Stark, had not yet soiled his pants at his client’s willingness to cooperate, what Busch told the OCTF officers during the subsequent interview would have caused a rocket-powered release of his bowels. Stark was likely kicked out of the room once Busch waived his right to counsel. Setting aside the vindictive reprisal he knew Chris Busch’s father had in store for him, Stark made a desperate call to H. Lee Busch telling him that Chris and, more importantly, H. Lee’s reputation were both circling the drain.

We need to acknowledge and underscore that at no point between his arrest and his attorney magically appearing in Flint did Chris Busch call or ask for an attorney. At no point between his arrest and his attorney magically appearing in Flint did Chris Busch call his father or anyone who would have then called his attorney. Yet, the attorney was in Flint. Before engaging in a ridiculous counterargument that perhaps someone at the police station allowed Busch to call his attorney, you must present that absurd, baseless assertion in the context of the factual record. You have to say it like this: “Chris Busch might have called the attorney without anyone at Flint PD or in the OCTF making a note of it after Busch specifically waived his right to an attorney, but before he ignored the advice of the attorney and kicked Stark out of the room because Busch again wanted to waive his right to counsel and tell his story to the officers. Try making that argument in court with a straight face.

The obvious question is: Why did the police officers not catch the magical appearance of an attorney who was never called? As mentioned previously, this is not the story of a vast conspiracy. There would be no way to contain the story if several people were involved in securing the release of a known child rapist. The weight on the conscience of hiding the crimes being committed would be too much to bear. Someone would have talked. This was contained within the tight circle of individuals blessed with having no conscience. Now we can respond to that obvious question: In the context of this case, there is a good reason why the police did not note the miraculous appearance of Keith Stark. We must remind ourselves that there were multiple police departments involved in Busch’s arrest. There were the officers in Alma, Flint PD and the OCTF. This was not a normal arrest. If this were a regular case with two detectives from a single department, upon seeing Keith Stark, they would have asked each other, “Who the hell called him?” In this case, there were at least three departments involved in Busch’s arrest and when they saw the attorney they likely assumed one of the other departments let Busch make the call. They would never assume that the OCP, who is supposed to be on their side, with whom they are supposed to be working and who has built the hard-nosed reputation of giving defense counsel nothing would have anything to do with making sure that Busch was represented by counsel after his arrest.

Still, how did Stark know that he needed to be waiting in Flint on January 28, 1977? Recall that Thompson braving the blizzard to be present at the polygraph that Stark advised Busch not to take was not Thompson’s first trip to Flint for this case. As indicated on Greg Greene’s tip sheet (MSP 450), Thompson was in Flint on January 26, 1977 with OCP chief investigator Gary Hawkins to interview Greg Greene about what he knew of Busch’s involvement in the OCCK murders. It was at this point that Thompson and Patterson were certain that H. Lee Busch’s child raping son was in the OCTF’s crosshairs and needed saving. The most plausible explanation for Stark’s presence in Flint on January 28—especially in view of all the inexplicable events that followed—is that the OCP tipped off H. Lee about his son’s impending arrest. Patterson and Thompson gave the former Controller of Cadillac Division a courtesy heads up so that he could make the necessary arrangements to have the legal protection he needed to keep the story quiet. When Chris Busch spurned the legal protection his father secured for him— because Chris knew the attorney was there to represent H. Lee’s reputation and not him—Keith Stark called H. Lee in desperation because Chris Busch and H. Lee’s reputation were about to become very famous. H. Lee then made his own desperate call that triggered Dick Thompson to jump in his car and drive through a blizzard to be at the polygraph. Like Paul Revere in reverse, Thompson charged into the night to whisper lullabies into the ears of the colonial officers to keep them asleep instead of screaming that the British are coming to rape your children.

We now know that Chris Busch did not pass that polygraph that Dick Thompson moved heaven and earth to attend. This cannot be repeated enough: It was the only polygraph of the hundreds that were taken during the course of the OCCK case that was attended by someone from the OCP office. Below is a handwritten note, presumably by Ralph Cabot, who conducted the bogus polygraph examination under Dick Thompson’s watchful eye.


The notes indicate that after asserting that he had nothing to do with the Stebbins boy, Chris Busch asked, “is there something wrong with the machine?” It was as though even Busch was trying to point out that something was amiss with the test.

Elites and their children are often blessed with being represented by both the prosecution and defense. When Chris Busch waived his first line of defense, the second line saddled up and drove through a blizzard to his rescue. But even the most depraved prosecutor blinded by ambition is still held in check by his conscience and/or sensitivity to optics, which usually places a limit on the crimes the elite are allowed commit without consequences. H. Lee Busch, however, hit the jackpot. He found himself two prosecutors without a single conscience between them who knew they could insulate themselves from the negative optics by creating a phony polygraph result. Their sole purpose was to ingratiate themselves with a wealthy potential benefactor by providing him with valuable information while assuring him of their absolute discretion. This sounds like a leap in logic, but the events described in subsequent chapters lead to this inescapable conclusion.

Meanwhile, the investigating OCTF officers eagerly anticipated Busch going down in flames during his polygraph examination. Their sense of relief at hitting upon what they were certain was the first major break in the OCCK case gave way to shock upon learning that Busch “passed.” As mentioned previously, at that time polygraphs were given undue status and were regarded as the gold standard. As to Cabot, Thompson only had to leverage his position using threats and promises to get the result he needed. This would be a recurring theme for “Deputy Dick.” Having procured the fraudulent polygraph result, Thompson pretended to commiserate with the crushed officers. The police had no idea that there was a jackal among them.

Although Busch’s bail was set at $75,000, it was reduced to $1,000. While it is tempting to assume that Thompson had a hand in this drastic and ridiculous reduction, it is highly unlikely. The explanation for dropping the bond, while interesting, is beyond the scope of this work and summarized in the footnote.8 The document showing the suspicious, but not ridiculously unreasonable reduction for Busch’s bail is below.


The circled “Rel” in the above document indicating that Busch was released is significant. Not for the fact that Busch was released on bond as much as the identity of the person who wrote it. Look below at the document below marked OCP 7.


The above document is part of the record for Chris Busch’s arrest in Oakland County that will be addressed in due course. For the moment, let us look past the sophistry and misdirection of the substance of the “No Deals” note written by Richard Thompson and concentrate simply on the letter “R” and compare it to the one on Chris Busch’s Genesee County Inmate Record.


You do not have to be a graphologist—a handwriting expert (and yes, I had to look up that term)—to see that the same person wrote both notes. We can leave aside how odd it is for someone from the OCP office to write a note on a Genesee County document. The point is that the OCP office was aware that admitted child rapist, Chris Busch, had his bond reduced on January 31, 1977, was released from Genesee the next day and ready to resume hunting at his favorite spots in Oakland County. The importance of this will become more apparent in the chapter titled, “We Are Being Raped, Robbed and Murdered…”

Then, despite having already been polygraphed twice on January 27, 1977 regarding his knowledge about Mark Stebbins’ murder, Greg Greene was polygraphed a third time on February 1, 1977. The tech for Greene’s third test was Ralph Cabot, who did not do Greene’s first two tests, but was the same tech who cleared Chris Busch. Cabot cleared Greene of involvement in the OCCK case just as he did with Chris Busch. In Greene’s case, the record is unclear whether Cabot passed Greene under Thompson’s physical presence or under his orders, but it led to the same result. Thompson noting on the Genesee County file that Busch was released mentioned above indicates that Thompson was likely in Flint on February 1, 1977 as well. Thus, it is likely that he was present for Greene’s third and unnecessary polygraph. Again, the result of this unnecessary polygraph of Greene did not stand up to scrutiny 30 years later when it was reviewed by three experts, except Greene failed his polygraph even more convincingly than Busch. OCP 469-73.


As to Greene’s first two polygraphs, it is odd that the name of Melvin Scott, the officer who administered Greene’s polygraphs on January 27, 1977, is redacted in the document below. See e.g. MSP 458 confirming that Melvin Scott polygraphed Greene. Scott worked for the Flint PD while Cabot was a polygrapher for the Michigan State Police (MSP). It is likely that the person leading the OCTF could exercise more control over a polygrapher working for the MSP than one who was under the authority of the Flint PD.


At any rate, this unnecessary third polygraph of Greene did little to help his prospects. His bail stayed at $75,000, he failed to post bond and remained in jail in Genesee County until he was convicted on all counts and sentenced to life in prison at Jackson Penitentiary. MSP 440-444. While there are some suggestions in the record that Greene may have posted bond, he was, in fact, incarcerated every day after his arrest on January 25, 1977 until the day he died. The incorrect suggestion in the record that Greene was out on bond actually sheds light on what happened behind the scenes. Suffice to say, we will see evidence that it was known in 1977 that the Cabot polygraphs of Busch and Greene were a deliberate fraud. This will be addressed in the chapter titled, “It had to be Greene.”

To summarize, despite Greene’s admissions to the police that he raped countless young boys…despite the testimony of several of Greene’s victims who were terrified of what he would do if they told…despite knowing that Greene nearly choked a boy to death while he raped him…despite hearing the direct statement of another boy Greene choked unconscious while he raped him…despite knowing that Stebbins and Mihelich were suffocated to death…despite knowing that one of Greene’s partners in molestation fantasized with him about kidnapping, tying up and raping a young boy…despite knowing that Greene implicated that same fantasizing partner in the murder of Mark Stebbins… despite Stebbins’ body showing ligature marks on his wrists and ankles and autopsy results indicating that he was tied up and raped just as Busch and Greene fantasized…despite subjecting Greene to two polygraph examinations that prompted the OCTF to join Flint PD in arresting Chris Busch…despite all of that—Greene was given a third, unnecessary polygraph and cleared of any involvement in the OCCK case. And the other polygraph of Chris Busch that three independent polygraphers agreed that Busch DID NOT pass? The test Busch himself questioned? Not only was he passed on January 28, 1977, he was passed in the presence of Brooks Patterson’s deputy, Dick Thompson. “Deputy Dick”…who was there pretending to represent the people of Oakland County when he was really protecting the reputation of the wealthy father of a child rapist. That is “Rapist” with a capital:


8 Chris Busch’s bail was reduced from $75,000 to $1,000 on January 31, 1977 during what was supposed to be Busch’s preliminary hearing. Based on the motions that were subsequently filed where Busch’s attorney local to Flint, Carl Leiter, filed to suppress the substance of Busch’s statements made to the police on January 28 along with all the child porn movies and photos found at Busch’s house. GCP 25-73. Leiter likely argued during the Jan 31 preliminary hearing that after being arrested at his restaurant in Alma, Busch told the police that he did not want to make any statement. We know Busch actually did say this based on Waldron’s report. OCP 38. Then Leiter likely argued that Busch DID NOT consent to a search of his home despite what the officers said because who in their right mind would consent to a search when they have pound of marijuana and a suitcase full of child porn lying around? Then Leiter likely argued that any admissions made by Busch during the car ride from Alma to Flint were inadmissible because the officers did not properly remind him of his rights (although Waldron wrote that Busch explicitly stated that he waived his right to counsel, OCP 39). Thus, Leiter was probably expressing outrage over these alleged improprieties by the officers and likely noted how odd it was for the arraignment to be held at the judge’s house (court was closed due to weather), when it could have simply been held at the courthouse the next day. The judge, probably concerned about the alleged police behavior and the optics of arraigning a criminal suspect in his foyer, dropped the bond to $1,000.

%d bloggers like this: